Improving explosive power using the jump rope part 2
Training with a jump rope is common in many martial arts. Even though it is a western form of training it has been welcomed as part of a good training regime in the east as well.
The jump rope improves our muscle tolerance and explosive power in the ones specifically needed for small jumps – exactly the small motions most of the martial arts use for punching and moving (using more jumping muscles will take us further, but disconnect us from the ground for too long in order for us to be agile and respondent…)
It is also a good way to develop coordination between hands and legs.
1. Jump forward and backward on one leg.
2. We make some repetitions and then change to another leg or 2 legs.
1. Make sure you change speeds of rotation – it will simulate more precisely the needs of the muscles during the fight.
2. Remember that there is a plyometric effect to the training. We can enhance it if we are aware of it.
3. It is very important to keep the jumps low and distant rather than high and short (again for the reason of better simulating the needs of a fight…)
4. Stretch and flex after training.
5. Play with the repetitions and tempo – the more we change, the more we demand from our body, the better the training.
Enjoy the Sweat
The Warriors Project